Shillong, May 27: The state government has announced ex-gratia payment of Rs 50,000 to the next of kin of those who have lost their lives due to Covid-19.
The decision was taken at a review meeting chaired by the Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma today.
Addressing media persons after the meeting, Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong said, “I am happy to inform that the government has decided to extend ex-gratia of Rs 50,000 each to the next of kin of people who succumbed to Covid-19.”
He informed that the decision on this regard will be effective from April 1, this year.
Tynsong said the Deputy Commissioners and the district medical & health officers (DM&HOs) of the respective districts have been asked to submit the names of the Covid-19 victims for release of the ex-gratia to their concerned families.
So far, 524 people have succumbed to Covid-19 in the state of which around 370 people have passed away during the period from April 1 till date.
Asked on the reason for the government to extend the ex-gratia only to victims of the second wave, the Deputy Chief Minister however said, “We wish to do so in fact from the government but let me tell you last year almost Rs 400 crore was spent.”
“Taking into the consideration the impact that we have this year and it really affects each and every citizen of the state mentally, we decided as a token from the government to extend the ex-gratia payment to those families who have to go through this painful phase in their lives,” he added.
Rs. 6 crore for Corona health facilities
Two Corona health facilities will now be created in Meghalaya with the Central government sanctioning Rs. 6 crore for these facilities to help the state fight the Covid-19 pandemic.
“The Government of India through the Ministry for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) has sanctioned Rs 6.7 crore for creation of such facilities in the state,” Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong informed today.
He said that accordingly, the state government has decided to set up the corona health facilities in Shillong under East Khasi Hills district and Tura under West Garo Hills district – with a bed capacity of 100 each.
Reacting to criticism on the decision of the government to go for prefab structures, the Deputy Chief Minister however said that due to the challenges being faced and taking into consideration the urgency, the government has decided to go ahead with the creation of these corona health facilities by construction of prefab structures.
This News Present You By Guwahatiassam.info With Out any changes as it Publish at the Original Source.
Like Us to Read This Type of News
Read More Relevant on ASSAM NEWS | GUWAHATI NEWS | NORTHEAST OF INDIA | TRIPURA | SIKKIM | TOURIST PLACES OF NORTHEAST | NAGALAND | MIZORAM | MEGHALAYA | MANIPUR | ARUNACHAL PRADESH | TOURIST PLACES OF ASSAM